What is Python?
Python is a popular programming language. It was created by Guido van Rossum, and released in 1991.
It is used for:
- web development (server-side),
- software development,
- system scripting.
History Of Python Language
Python is developed by Guido van Rossum. Guido van Rossum started implementing Python in 1989. Python is a very simple programming language so even if you are new to programming, you can learn python without facing any issues.
Features of Python programming language
1. Readable: Python is a very readable language.
2. Easy to Learn: Learning python is easy as this is a expressive and high level programming language, which means it is easy to understand the language and thus easy to learn.
3. Cross platform:
- Python works on different platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, Raspberry Pi, etc).
4.Open Source: Python is a open source programming language.
5. Large standard library: Python comes with a large standard library that has some handy codes and functions which we can use while writing code in Python.
6. Free: Python is free to download and use. This means you can download it for free and use it in your application. See: Open Source Python License. Python is an example of a FLOSS (Free/Libre Open Source Software), which means you can freely distribute copies of this software, read its source code and modify it.
7. Supports exception handling: If you are new, you may wonder what is an exception? An exception is an event that can occur during program exception and can disrupt the normal flow of program. Python supports exception handling which means we can write less error prone code and can test various scenarios that can cause an exception later on.
8. Advanced features: Supports generators and list comprehensions. We will cover these features later.
9. Automatic memory management: Python supports automatic memory management which means the memory is cleared and freed automatically. You do not have to bother clearing the memory.
What can Python do?
- Python can be used on a server to create web applications.
- Python can be used alongside software to create workflows.
- Python can connect to database systems. It can also read and modify files.
- Python can be used to handle big data and perform complex mathematics.